Western Australia’s government-owned utility Horizon Power is undergoing a major state grid transformation. In this session, they will share how they successfully delivered Standalone Power Systems to customers, enabling the de-energising and removal of 54km of ageing poles and wires infrastructure. They will talk of their centrally planned, designed and coordinated approach to achieving mutual benefit for Customers, Networks and Generation.
- Transition to a higher DER future:
- The challenges (networks and micro-grids have physical limits for Renewable Energy connection)
- The opportunity (to share costs and benefits of generation and infrastructure via coordination of network and customer-owned DER
- Business and systems integration of a new asset class
- Pilot demonstration of DER coordination (Smart Sun in Broome WA), including some technical overview and benefits/lessons
- Scale deployment of DER coordination (Onslow, WA) DERMS scope, architecture overview, lessons to date
Manager, Distributed Energy Resources