Conference Day One
9:00 am - 9:15 am CHAIRPERSONS WELCOME
9:15 am - 9:45 am KEYNOTE: Brand Protection Strategies For The Digital Age
With the rise of technologies heating up, the ability to effectively protect IP and brands remains difficult. How can we utilise blockchain technology and AI assist to in brand protection strategies? Convergence of technologies like IoT for tracking and how this can assist in anti-counterfeiting?
Lauren A. Dienes-MiddlenSVP, Assistant General Counsel - Intellectual Property
9:45 am - 10:15 am Strategising Approaches To IP Licensing
- How key is licensing your IP as a means of ensuring continued commercial viability of a portfolio?
- What are the challenges when looking to license a patent globally?
- How can you prepare your IP portfolio, prior to the licensing stage, to ensure you are prepared to handle the international challenge?
Johanna WrightSenior Patent Attorney
10:15 am - 10:30 am ICEBREAKER: Networking Bingo
A highlight of Legal IQ events now returns in 2019! You will have several 2 minute conversations to enable you to introduce yourself to your peers and add to your contact pool. There is a prize in it for the winner so get networking!
- Who you are
- The scope of your job role
- Your #1 challenge
10:30 am - 11:00 am MORNING BREAK & NETWORKING
11:00 am - 11:30 am Anti-Counterfeiting Measures in a Contentious World
- How much does counterfeiting remain a key challenge to businesses in today’s world?
- What are the new and innovative means business have sought to protect themselves and their IP’s?
- How can you best protect your IP through effective anti-counterfeiting strategies?
Anais EidenGroup Legal Head - IP & Innovation
11:30 am - 12:00 pm Utilising Trade Secrets to Safeguard Your IP and Brand
- How much protection Trade Secrets offer to innovations and assets?
- What are the benefits to implementing trade secret protection, and how can this aid your patent portfolio?
- Does this protection outweigh the potential for patent monopoly?
Sean AlexanderSenior Director
12:30 pm - 1:30 pm NETWORKING LUNCH
1:30 pm - 2:15 pm PANEL DISCUSSION: Promoting Innovative Technology Transfer
- Given the value potential that IP holds to any business ensuring adequate protection is essential, how important is continuous innovation?
- With such intricate innovation systems, how do you ensure open innovation is not stifled?
- What is the possible role of authorities in fostering development and promotion of methods to help secure valuation methods?
Patrick McCutcheonSenior Policy Advisor, IP
Bart LindekensDirector, Intellectual Property
Ief DaemsLegal Director
2:15 pm - 3:30 pm Interactive Roundtable Discussions
Attendees will separate into small groups and over the course of the hour have the opportunity to work through two of the below topics with 30 minutes one each table. Each table will have a facilitator who will guide the discussion and feedback key takeaways to the rest of the room
Table 1: IP - Portfolio Lifecycle Management
Table 2: Patent - Patent Prosecution within maturing markets
Table 3: Brand Protection - Optimising a Global Brand Protection Strategy
Table 4: Licensing - New Licensing Opportunities through Digitilisation
Table 5: Trademarks- Build an insurance landscape with TM’s
3:30 pm - 4:00 pm AFTERNOON BREAK & NETWORKING
4:00 pm - 4:30 pm Protection Methods For Your IP
- Securing patent protection can often become an expensive and protracted process
- There exist a number of alternative methods to protect your IP, including Trade Secrets, Copyrighting and Trademarking IP, among others.
- How can you know which is the best option for your business, and how can you ensure your IP is sufficiently protected?
4:30 pm - 5:00 pm The Intersection of IP and Artificial Intelligence
- The relationship between AI and intellectual property has grown increasingly complex
- How can AI be used to assist in the development of IP? And in what way has this changed our approach?
- What impact would AI have on the inventive step and non obvious criteria? What is the likely effect on patent prosecution?
Francesco MacchettaIP Strategic Advisor