Dr. Juan Recio
Associate Director, Ports, Marine and Geotechnical
Conference Day One: Monday, 21 October 2019
Monday, October 21st, 2019
9:00 AM VISONARY PANEL: Reclaiming lost land: Identifying unique opportunities for island development to boost Middle East tourism and drive economic revenue
Over the past 15 years, land reclamation has been carried out all over the world for many different purposes, besides expansion, maritime ports and airports, land has also been created for housing projects, tourism and waterfront development.
We have seen a number of island project arise from the Middle East region such as the Palm Jumeirah, Deira Islands, The world, Yas Island and many more but what is next?
Key question: What’s in store for the Middle East in terms of island and waterfront development?
In this session, we will:
- Highlight successful island and waterfront development projects in the GCC
- Discuss upcoming island and reclamation land projects in the Middle East and opportunities for development
- How island development can contribute to tourism and entertainment GCC visions
- Identify what we can learn from international countries
9:45 AM PROJECT CASE STUDY: A key insight into Peninsula Creation, Artificial Islands and Marinas and lessons learnt
An exclusive insight into 3 iconic marine projects currently being developed by AECOM in the UAE and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and lessons learnt.
Senior leadership will acknowledge:
- Challenges associated with collecting reliable data and numerical modelling
- Key considerations in master planning and stakeholder engagement
- Innovative design works and creative opportunities