Craig J. Thackray
Director Civil Infrastructure MEA Ports & Maritime
Conference Day One: Monday, 21 October 2019
Monday, October 21st, 2019
3:30 PM INTERACTIVE PANEL DISCUSSION: Debating the environmental impact of land reclamation – is your island Eco friendly?
We often look to island development and costal projects as a way of making our cities more attractive to tourists and more economically successful – but at what cost?
This exclusive panel debate will discuss the impact of land reclamation on the environment and what key strategies we can put in place to avoid serious damage.
In this session, we will examine:
- Environmental impact assessment on land reclamation projects – the untold truth
- Best practices to monitor and assess land reclamation’s impacts on species, habitats and the marine ecosystems
- Hydrodynamic modelling techniques to ensure water quality and plume dispersion in land reclamation projects
Conference Day Two: Tuesday, 22 October 2019
Tuesday, October 22nd, 2019
2:45 PM INTERACTIVE PANEL DISCUSSION: Conquering the sea - Why do land reclamation projects fail and what can we do to mitigate risk?
Artificial islands are an expensive and risky undertaking that can span decades. With billions of dollars being invested in island and waterfront projects It is essential to have an effective risk management strategy in place to avoid a costly nightmare.
Senior management will :
- Consider the consequences of artificial island projects that lack appropriate designs
- Identify flaws that can appear in the early stages of development to prevent redesign, reconstruction and safety issues
- Weather and climate change risks and the long-term effects
- Proactive maintenance strategies to predict and prevent failures before they happen