Cinema Festival Day Two: Tuesday, 26 February 2019
The new wave of cinemas: Capturing new audiences and changing preferences with a diverse range of content offerings
9:30 am - 10:15 am VIP Keynote Content is king: How movie theatres are engaging new audiences and increasing ticket sales through content
Content is king, but everyone wants the throne. Piracy undermines the entire creative economy. It is a serious threat both to cinemas and to the health of the creative sector, the millions of people who work in it and it undermines the legal market for content.
- What is the impact of piracy?
- How has piracy evolved
- Are there sustainable solutions? How can we ensure that content remains king?
Stanford McCoyPresident and Managing Director EMEA
Motion Pictures Association
10:15 am - 11:00 am Exclusive Project Showcase: The Chapman and Taylor insight: The wow factor: Strategic considerations and top tips for the future of cinema design
Chapman Taylor has designed and delivered many of the worlds largest and most striking cinemas projects from the Reel cinemas at Dubai Mall to Cineworld in Leicester square. A key component of the tem is Director, David Wallace who is responsible for many of the largest and most cutting edge cinema developments. This session will demonstrate lessons learned and future opportunities to create the most immersive cinema experiences that will keep movie-goers coming back for more
- Designing a new generation of cinema: Top tips for creating ambitious and commercially successful cinemas
- Why first impressions matter: Creating the ‘wow’ factor as soon as they enter the cinema
- How digital technology has impacted the cinema design and what disruptions can we expect in next 5 years
- Exclusive insights from London’s biggest cinema – the Cineworld at 02, Dubai Mall’s Reel Cinema and planned upcoming projects in Saudi Arabia
11:00 am - 11:30 am Networking break
Cutting-edge cinemas: Designing ‘next-gen’ immersive cinema experiences to provide the ultimate visitor experience
12:00 pm - 12:30 pm Exclusive Project Showcase: The sound idea: Acoustic lessons learned for KSA
- Suitability of proposed locations for conversion to cinema use: Evaluating KSA’s existing malls to accommodate cinemas.
- Analysis of future potential problems and weaknesses with respect to KSA’s current architecture and identifying appropriate KSA locations for cinemas
- Evaluating the experience of local contractors and availability of suitable materials for cinema design in KSA
- Review of existing standards and updating of performance criteria with respect to advancement of sound systems and control technology (Dolby/IMAX and enhanced low frequency processing) and their relationship to the cinema architecture and structure
Paul SchwarzPartner & Principal
12:30 pm - 1:30 pm Networking lunch
Developing strategic partnerships and pricing models to boost cinema attendance and enhance customer experience
3:00 pm - 3:30 pm Executive Panel Discussion: The revival of the movie theatre: What does the future hold for the Cinema in a digital age?
- Strategic ways movie theatres are adapting to changing consumer demand
- From foes to friends - Could partnering with Netflix be the key to future cinema success
- How can cinemas innovate to compete with home entertainment viewing and other entertainment options
- Predicting how cinemas will evolve by 2020?
Karim H. AtassiVice President of Operations
Ashish ShuklaCEO GCC